Listen to this week's show and learn:
- New airline travel partner with Chase
- Alaska offering a bonus earning
- The deal with upgrades on American, United, and Delta
People on this episode
<li><a href="https://twitter.com/ajdunnggs">AJ</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/erikpaquet">Erik</a></li>
Locations on this Episode
For today’s episode, Erik and AJ check in from Barcelona, Spain
Links Mentioned in this episode
* Indicate a new bullet point by hitting return twice (i.e. leave a blank line in between)
* TextExpander = wplink
NEWS AND UPDATES
Chase transfers to KLM
Earn points on Alaska with global partners
Starwood points on sale
Free Roaming on AT&T in Mexico & Canada
1,000 Easy United Miles with Prosper App
Earn 250 Virgin America Elevate Miles
Stay at all 11 SPG brands for 11,000 Bonus Points
Hilton Status Matches
Auckland-Honolulu route with Air New Zealand Upgraded to 787
Air India Fifth Freedom Route
AA upgrades on BA and Iberia flights
AA 500-mile upgrade
United upgrade chart
United Upgrade overview
Delta Mileage upgrade
Delta Upgrade with miles
Delta changing upgrade companion
Upgrading with the three major players
- May upgrade to the next cabin of service for a single one-way trip from a purchased ticket depending on the type of fare you buy there will either be a full mile upgrade or an additional paid fee (per one-way)
- Buy Discount ticket will need to pay $75-$350 and use 15K-25K to upgrade from economy to business
- Buy Full fare economy and use 5K-15K to upgrade
- Buy discount business and pay $175-$550 as well as 15K-25K to upgrade to First class
- Buy Full fare Business and use 15K-25K to upgrade to first
- Taxes may be different when upgrading
- Must book ticket first then call AA representative to upgrade
- Can call before hand and find out if seats are available for upgrade or there are open seats in business that may become available for award upgrade before departure.
- These Upgrades available with AA carriers
- Just like booking an award ticket, upgrades may not be available on all segments for the one way trip.
- Maximum of 3 segments will be upgraded on a one way
- Fare conditions will still apply to original purchased fare will apply
- Will only occur miles based on fare portion that was purchased, not upgraded
- You can upgrade on BA and Iberia flights using AA miles (tickets must be purchased on AA)
- Elite status members can upgrade for free on AA carrier flights 500 miles and more ( may use multiple 500-mile upgrades to be combined) Anything less than 500 will automatically be on the upgrade list.
- Gold and platinum member receive 500-mile upgrades every 12,500 EQM
- May purchase upgrades for $40 (If you are elite)
- Can upgrade most flights on United, Copa, and ANA flights
- To Request upgrade as you booking your ticket, you can do so by either calling customer care, or selecting “Mileage upgrade award” when in the advanced search page
- If request after a ticket has been bought, must call the United Mileage program
- The price of an upgrade is based on region of travel, fare class and status
- Upgrades may be confirmed as soon as you make the booking, otherwise you will be put on a waitlist and notified when one comes available
- If no upgrade becomes available by the time you depart, miles and taxes will be refunded to your accounts
- Can pay anywhere between 7,500K -35K in mile upgrades and pay $75-600 for a copay to upgrade (check out pages 4-5 in link to see exactly how much, very easy to navigate)
- Complimentary premier upgrades are available on select Untied carrier flights for premier members and their companion traveling
- Premier members who are primary cardholders for some Chase-issued mileageplus credit cards are eligible for premier upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United flights.
- This does not include companions traveling on the same reservation.
- Call Premier Priority Desk number listed on the back of their membership card to request upgrade consideration .
- contact the Premier Priority Desk number listed on the back of their membership to request upgrade
- Star alliance upgrades with United miles is possible, check out page 5 of the award chart
- Two ways to upgrade: (no award chart to see how much in fees, though it looks like there may not be any fees, only the amount in miles needed to upgrade, you won’t be able to view how much the upgrade with miles will cost unless you have enough miles in your account)
- Must login to view upgrade availability
- You will automatically see the option to upgrade with miles in your trip summary
- Only flights all must be within the 50 states of the U.S
- Must have enough availability and miles in your account to upgrade everyone in your party.
- Upgrade with Miles is only available during an original booking at delta.com or with a Reservations Specialist.
- You will earn miles and MQMs based on the cabin flown.
- redeemed for fixed mileage amounts according to area of travel and are only valid with certain fare classes.
- Most flights Delta operated flights and some KLM flights eligible
- Delta bulk fares, companion fares, group fares, Round the World fares, Award Travel of any kind cannot be upgraded with a separate award or by paying an additional fee
- If you are not confirmed for the upgrade before 3 hours before departure, it does not carry over to the airport standby list
- Earn miles based on the fare you purchased.